Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Summer Solstice, Stray Dogs, Big Wigs and Such

Summer
As today, June 21st is the summer solstice, a quick note on daylight here in Moscow. The sun rises at about 4 -4:30 am and it sets around 10:30 - 11 pm each night. The confusing lack of physical cues (e.g. 19 hours of daylight) make it very difficult to get over jet lag. Two weeks later, I am still feeling the residual effects.
The summer solstice is particularly of note in Russia, because on this day in 1941, Hitler launched his initial attack against Russia. Hitler chose this day because he felt the solstice was a powerful and fortunate day. It should be noted that today, is also (in the Russian orthodox church) All Saints Day. The Russians, too believed that June 21st was a powerful and fortunate day. I guess the Russians turned out to be right.

Stray Dogs
Moscow has a lot (and I mean a lot) of stray dogs. The unusual thing about these dogs is that they are completely civilized and even more well behaved than dogs with owners. It is like the dogs have not given up on people and are determined to show that they are worthy enough to rejoin the human community. The dogs are incredibly smart. I saw a dog today cross the street. He waited for the green light and crossed at the cross walk!!! They are extremely well behaved and do not threaten humans at all. I may possibly be suckered into "adopting" one of these guys before I leave.

Big Wigs
Last night I attended the Alfa Bank Award for Foreign Investment Dinner at the Marriott Grand in Moscow center. I met the former governor of Nevada, Bob Miller and several other very important people, including the Belgium trade representative. The "glava" or head of Alfa Bank, Peter Aven was present and hosted the event. Joschka Fischer, former foreign minister of Germany was the key note speaker. He took questions after his speech. The event was very well done. I am proud to be associated with Alfa Bank and the Alfa Bank Foundation. I am sure this is the first of many events. As my Russian improves, so will my networking opportunities.


Tomorrow I am meeting up with a friend from the States for coffee or some such beverage. She is here on an ACTR trip (American College Teachers of Russian).

I will try to take and post more pictures on my blog site. Keep your comments coming and thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home